CLICK HERE TO APPLY!
Are you looking for a steppingstone to a successful medical career? Want to work with and learn from established providers? Like helping patients and answering their questions? Then we want to talk with you!
Valley Medical and Wellness is currently hiring medical assistants to work in our Twin Cities clinics. At Valley Medical a medical assistant assists our providers in managing patients with addiction and/or chronic pain issues. Our medical assistants greet and room patients, answer patient questions, help manage the front desk, and perform necessary clerical duties. It’s fulfilling work and great training for your next steps in the healthcare profession.
What Does an MA Do at Valley Medical?
What will you do as a medical assistant at Valley Medical? It varies somewhat from day to day and from clinic to clinic, but here are the primary responsibilities for all our MAs:
Assist our providers and patients:
- Room patients for providers by performing intake, gathering vitals, verifying medical records, and confirming purpose of visit
- Record patient information such as vital signs, weight, and changes in medical history
- Perform clerical work such as requesting reviewing medical records, scanning documents, and making/receiving phone calls
- Prep exam rooms for clinical procedures and assisting practitioners with patient care
- Maintain confidentiality when interacting with patients, families, personnel, and the public
- Maintain positive public relations image with peers, patients, and visitors by presenting a positive, helpful attitude
- Initiate prescriptions
- Answer telephone calls and Klara messages, identifying self and clinic/practice with proper patient triage
- Scribe as necessary
- Other tasks as assigned
Work the front desk:
- Greet patients with a friendly and welcoming demeanor
- Schedule patient appointments as needed
- Collect co-pays and other payments
- Assist patients to complete all necessary forms and documentation including medical insurance
Collect and process urine samples:
- Organizing and sanitizing the lab and patient room in preparation for collection
- Specimen collection, including urine samples, at various sites with VMW partners
- Perform clinic lab duties including, but not limited to: handling specimens, urine rapid drug testing, and shipping specimens
- Label creation and data entry into LIMS and/or EMR system
- Complete lab requisition forms and assist with data entry into spreadsheets
What Will You Learn at Valley Medical?
Working at Valley Medical is ideal training for a future medical career. You get to work with and learn from multiple providers and gain valuable experience interacting with patients. Many MAs develop close personal relationships with providers that help them advance in their future careers.
Past medical assistants have found their training at Valley Medical invaluable for getting into nurse practitioner and physician assistant programs, as well as into medical schools. (Valley Medical is proud to participate in the University of Minnesota’s Addiction Medicine Fellowship program and medical student rotation for Des Moines University.)
Are There Opportunities to Advance?
Valley Medical employs four levels of medical assistants: MA 1, MA 2, MA 3, and Lead MA. All new MAs start at level 1, but you can quickly advance to subsequent levels based on your work experience and skill level. After your preliminary training and six months of experience at our clinics, you can advance to level 2. MAs with extended experience may progress to level 3, which is a requirement to work with any of our doctors. The Lead MA position is available for level 3 MAs willing to take on additional leadership responsibilities.
What Skills Do You Need?
What do you need to be a successful MA at Valley Medical? Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Previous patient care experience
- Detailed knowledge of medical terminology
- Ability to use photocopy and facsimile (fax) machines
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and Teams
- Ability to learn other technologies and platforms, especially the IMS electronic medical record (EMR) system
What Education is Required?
You don’t need a medical background to start your career at Valley Medical. All you need is the following:
- High school diploma or equivalent (required)
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry, or a related (preferred)
We’ll provide the necessary training to prepare you to see your first patient. From there, you’ll learn from our providers and other staff as you perform your daily duties.
What Hours Are Available?
At Valley Medical it’s easy to get the hours you want—without working nights or weekends. Here are the details:
- 40 hours per week, day shift
- Typical hours: Monday-Friday or Monday-Thursday 7:45 am to 4:30 pm; 7:45 am to 6:30 pm; or 7:45 am to 12:30 pm
- Ability to travel between Valley Medical Twin Cities locations upon request (Minneapolis, Plymouth, Burnsville, and Woodbury)
- Must arrive 30 minutes before your assigned provider and remain on duty until the completion of the provider’s shift
Where Will You Be Working?
We’re currently looking for MAs to work at our four Twin Cities clinics, located at:
- BURNSVILLE: 2428 East 117th Street, Burnsville, MN
- MINNEAPOLIS: 2847 Johnson Street NE, Minneapolis, MN
- PLYMOUTH: 14440 28th Place North, Plymouth, MN
- WOODBURY: 1789 Woodlane Drive Suite A, Woodbury, MN
What Else Do You Need to Do the Job?
In addition to the other requirements, you need to be able to:
- Prioritize tasks and manage time
- Work in a fast-paced environment while maintaining quality and efficiency
- Work on holidays as part of a rotation
- Facilitate for up to 10 hours a day
- Constantly sit, use hands to handle or feel, talk, and hear
- Frequently reach with hands and arms
- Occasionally stand, walk, and stoop, kneel, and crouch
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
- Utilize specific vision abilities, including close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus
What Benefits Are Available?
If you’ve gotten this far, you’re probably curious about the benefits we offer. In addition to a competitive salary, you will receive:
- Paid time off
- Paid holidays
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Opportunity for continued professional development from our providers, partner academic institutions, and more
- Discounted Lifetime Fitness membership
- Discounts on event tickets, cell phone packages, hotels and more via ADP
- 401K plan
- Life insurance/disability
- Discretionary profit sharing
- and MORE
What Does Valley Medical and Wellness Do?
Valley Medical and Wellness is a premier provider of treatment for chronic pain and addiction with clinics in Plymouth, Minneapolis, Burnsville, Woodbury, Rochester, and Bemidji. Our mission is to improve the quality of life for those suffering from chronic pain or afflicted with addiction. Our staff works closely with our patients to identify their problems, set treatment goals, prescribe opioids and other medications, and put methods into place to achieve those goals.
Are You Interested in Joining the Valley Medical Team?
If all this looks interesting to you, we should talk. Click this link to learn more and apply.